FvF is a Berlin-based independent publication and production company that creates inspiring and international content. We cover stories from around the world with our network of friends and contributors – focusing on the incredible pursuits of diverse, creative people from all cultural backgrounds and professions.
About the Role
We’re looking for a writer and editor to join our talented, dedicated team.
Everyone at FvF is a passionate storyteller, pushing the limits of digital publishing. The written word is a huge part of that – an interview goes from dry to mesmerizing in the hands of a good wordsmith, and a misplaced punctuation mark derails otherwise great reads. As our editor, you’ll be a gatekeeper of words, working together with all parts of the editorial team (social media and production department, photographers, PR and even contributors). And, of course, being part of FvF, you’ll take part in all the fun perks of the job. Just check our Instagram feed to see what we get up to!
- Write, copy edit and proof texts and interviews in both German and English
- Coordinate editorial content and communicate with writers, guests and clients
- Review submissions from our contributors
- Help further and update FvF editorial’s guidelines
- Translating English to German texts
- Edit internal or client-related documents and texts
- Update, proof, and schedule WordPress posts
- Contribute text to social media
To be an editor at FvF, you must have the following characteristics:
- You genuinely love the craft of writing, having professional experience with it – it’s not just something you picked up to support your other creative pursuits.
- You’re a self-starter, one who sees needs before they arise and makes suggestions before others do – then you are able to own your tasks, seeing them through in a busy work environment.
In addition, you should:
- Understand the Freunde von Freunden brand & community.
- Have 2-4 years in an editorial background, freelance or in-house.
- Have experience with digital journalism as well as some work with brand. Social Media experience a plus as well.
- Have familiarity with the usual software tools (Dropbox, Google Docs/Drive, WordPress, Slack etc.)
You should be Berlin-based or willing to relocate. Complete fluency in German with strong English skills required. The position is full time, with pay dependent on experience.
- A short cover letter in your email, stating your interest, experience, how you found out about FvF, and your availability.
- 2-3 work samples of your work as a writer or editor.
- A CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile (a portfolio is also nice, if you have one).
- Links to 2 articles. The first should be a piece that pushes the boundaries of what is possible to do with digital storytelling online. The second should be to a piece (interview or long-form article) on a creative personality, one where the writer did an amazing job highlighting unique character through words. Explain your choices for both.
Start Date: ASAP
If you’d like to apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org – put the words “Editor” in the title of the email. Please know we often receive many applications for our positions – we simply cannot reply personally to every one, even the most highly-qualified candidates.
Freunde von Freunden