Freunde von Freunden is looking for a Contributing Editor to join our team – someone to assist in conceiving editorial direction with our in-house team and network of contributors, as well as finessing texts from small to large.
About the Role
This role is half communication and half written word. On the comms side, it’s a job for someone interested in developing the moving parts of the overall editorial calendar of a digital magazine, for a born multi-tasker. It’s a lot of coordination – workflow documents to update, contributors to check in on, clients who need resources at certain times – but also an exciting chance for input in direction.
You must also be a writer and have a keen ear for language as you help guide the FvF voice – proof and copy-edit documents, writing intros, headlines, social media, and the occasional longer interview. In this respect you will help the Managing Editor with the text that makes the magazine run.
Typical tasks include:
- Coordinating production of FvF stories.
- Planning short, medium, and long term objectives for the edit calendar.
- Following through to make sure tasks/texts are getting done.
- Communicate with our project managers, PR, and marketing on deliverables.
- Writing copy, headlines, and short texts, as well as internal documents.
- You must be confident and outgoing, willing to step in and make things happen.
- You must also be a great listener – you know how to balance competing priorities.
In addition, you should:
- Have a strong understanding of the Freunde von Freunden brand & community.
- Complete fluency in the English language.
- 2-4 years experience in digital publishing or journalism.
- Have some experience working with clients.
- Professional writing experience is a variety of context – work on copy a huge plus.
- Have familiarity with the usual software tools (Dropbox, Google Docs/Drive, WordPress, Slack, etc).
Berlin-based, or already planning on relocating to Berlin soon. The position is full time, with pay dependent on experience.
- A short cover letter in your email, stating your intent, experience, and availability.
- Your current employment status w/r/t ability to work and be paid in Germany.
- Examples of 2-3 projects you have worked on in digital publishing.
- A CV or link to your LinkedIn profile
Also include a link to one publication that you think is pushing the boundaries of digital story-telling. Tell us why.
Start Date: ASAP
If you’d like to apply, please send an email to email@example.com – put the words “Contributing Editor” in the title of the email. Please know we often receive many applications for our positions – we simply cannot reply personally to every one, even to the most highly-qualified candidates.
Freunde von Freunden